Total Pageviews

Saturday, August 20, 2011

Insight Into One Aspect Of My Continuous Recovery


I was in a training today for a NAMI Class I will teach in the future and we were talking about different things and different aspects of recovery and I had a unique perspective of currently continuing my recovery, many in the class were family members of a person with a Mental Illness.

It is not debatable fact that cutting is a wrong way to deal with an underlying emotion or inner battle. The way I was battling this fact was trying to stop or erase this inner need to find an outlet for my intense emotions and feelings of needing a release. I found myself in a cycle, I would feel the emotions and intensity and try to just tell myself to be rid of it, or if I tried harder to control my emotions it would solve my problem. I found that for myself it was impossible to make them stop, and so I fell back on the only coping mechanism I knew, and more importantly, ever accepted as a solution; cutting.

What I have learned is that it's not about trying to rid yourself of those emotions but instead finding another way to channel and release the emotions I so intensely store up. I have found for myself that writing has been a pivotal component of my continuing recovery. I am able to release my true and genuine emotions, it is a healthy expression, and in some cases is able to bring insight and awareness to the mind of someone who lives with Borderline Personality Disorder.

*Note: I always like to make sure I make this as clear as possible, I am not a Doctor and all the above is based purely on my personal experience and I always encourage speaking to a Professional*

No comments:

Post a Comment